Re: Using Postgresql as application server

From: "David Johnston" <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "'Darren Duncan'" <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using Postgresql as application server
Date: 2011-08-15 21:54:18
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

>>I believe that it is ideal for Postgres to be computationally complete in that one *could* use it to implement a complete application. That isn't to say one should do this as a matter of course, good to use appropriate tools for a >>job, but that it should at least be possible if one wanted to. -- Darren Duncan

So who wants to fund the effort to create the necessary infrastructure to display a programmer-defined user interface screen (think of the "Forms" module in Microsoft Access)? Or are you expecting the end-user to open up PgAdmin and type "SELECT hello_world();". I would argue that because PostgreSQL is able to talk with many languages that can create these "Forms" (or even - through extensions - a web-browser) that such functionality is NOT DESIREABLE and thus PostgreSQL would not ideally be "computationally complete" by that definition.

David J.