Issue With Restoring a Dump

From: "Jeanna Geier" <jgeier(at)apt-cafm(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Issue With Restoring a Dump
Date: 2006-08-25 18:20:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi, I'm having a problem with restoring a dump that I executed and would
appreciate any assistance anyone could give me. I'm a newbie here, so
please bear with me.

I'm using Postgre 8.0 Version 1.2.1; I executed the dump using the following
command:

pg_dump -h localhost -U postgres -o dbName >
C:\Database_Backups\apt_dump_082506.dmp

I got prompted for the password and entered it and it created a file named
apt_dump_082506.dmp in my C:\Database_Backups directory.

I then created a new database to load the dump into from the template0:

createdb -U postgres -T template0 apt_dump_test

I got prompted for the password and entered it and it created the database
in Postgres.

Finally, when I try to restore the dump into this new database, I am not
getting prompted for the Password, it is simply throwing an error:

psql -U postgres apt_dump_test < C:\Database_Backups\apt_dump_082506.dmp
Password:
psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

It is not giving me an opportunity to enter the password at all....

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Jeanna