Re: I'm stumped

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <thomas(dot)silvi(at)laposte(dot)net>, "Doug Y" <dylists(at)ptd(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I'm stumped
Date: 2004-12-22 01:42:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I didn't bother analysing this too deeply, so keep that in mind when you
read my reply ;-)

However the point that set off alarm bells for me was this statement "we now
have an over-ride table".

It seems to me that you shouldn't be over-riding anything, and the emp_dept
table should just be history - ie "emp_dept_his", and it wouldn't need the
"active" column.

If you need history then you could use a trigger or rule to insert the
history record whenever the emloyee changes department.

The key question here is "Why wouldn't you change the key in the emp table
when that key represents the employee's department?". It seems like a
handbook case to me but maybe I missed something.

regards
Iain