Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources

From: "Al Sutton" <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>, "Lee Kindness" <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date: 2002-11-26 15:37:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

D'Arcy,

In production the database servers are seperate multi-processor machines
with mirrored disks linked via Gigabit ethernet to the app server.

In development I have people extremely familiar with MS, but not very hot
with Unix in any flavour, who are developing Java and PHP code which is then
passed into the QA phase where it's run on a replica of the production
environment.

My goal is to allow my developers to work on the platform they know (MS),
using as many of the aspects of the production environment as possible (JVM
version, PHP version, and hopefully database version), without needing to
buy each new developer two machines, and incur the overhead of them
familiarising themselves with a flavour of Unix.

Hope this helps you understand where I'm comming from,

Al.