Disconnected Backends

From: "Glen and Rosanne Eustace" <agree(at)godzone(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Disconnected Backends
Date: 2000-12-30 05:14:50
Lists: pgsql-general

I have recently allowed one of my clients to use ipsql as a means to manage
one of his databases on my server. The server is currently running 6.5.1
and will be upgraded to 7.0 on 1/1 so if this is version specific the
problem may go away.

It would seem that the postmaster either doesn't shut down a remote
connection properly or is not able to detect when the remote client has gone
away. I get lots of postmasters for what I know to be old connections still
hanging about. This is a bit of a worry as they consume resources and keep
databases open that could easily be closed.

Any comments would be appreciated.
--
Glen and Rosanne Eustace,
GodZone Internet Services, a division of AGRE Enterprises Ltd.,