Re: TEXT field size

From: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Antti Linno" <alligator(at)all(dot)ee>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TEXT field size
Date: 2001-06-26 13:34:58
Lists: pgsql-sql

From: "Antti Linno" <alligator(at)all(dot)ee>

> Hallo.
>
> Maybe its not the right list, but does the Postgres 7.1 support now
> unlimited text field? In previous versions it was limited to max 31k, or
> even less, depending on the compilation etc.

Yes - look for details of TOAST in the docs. Text fields can be effectively
unlimited and IIRC might even get compressed if circumstances look good.
There were some issues with old clients (ODBC/JDBC etc) not knowing this and
enforcing the old 8KB rule but I think they're probably updated now.

- Richard Huxton