Postgres & large objects

From: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <emberson(at)phc(dot)net>
Subject: Postgres & large objects
Date: 2004-05-06 08:09:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all,

It seems I'm trying to solve the same problem as Richard Emberson had a
while ago (thread here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-03/msg01199.php).

Essentially I am storing a large number of large objects in the DB
(potentially tens or hundreds of gigs), and would like the pg_largeobject
table to be stored on a separate FS. But of course it's not just one file
to symlink and then forget about, it's a number of files that get created.

So, has anyone come up with a way to get the files for a table created in a
particular place? I know that tablespsaces aren't done yet, but a kludge
will do (or a patch come to that - we're runing redhat's 7.2.3 RPMs, but
could switch if necessary). I had thought that if the filenames were
predictable it might be possible to precreate a bunch of zero-length files
and symlink them in advance...

Cheers

Matt