Re: Readme of Buffer Management seems to have wrong sentence

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: 'Greg Smith' <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Readme of Buffer Management seems to have wrong sentence
Date: 2012-05-23 17:33:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>I don't think there is a clear picture yet of what benchmark to use for
testing changes here.
I will first try to generate such a scenario(benchmark). I have still not
thought completely.
However the idea in my mind is that scenario where buffer list is heavily
operated upon.
Operations where shared buffers are much less compare to the data in disk
and the operations are distributed such that
they require to access most of the data in disk randomly.

>> Proving that a) a new policy helps on some workloads
I thought to prove, I should write a proof of concept code and then test it
by having appropriate test, or do you think that it needs to be proved some
other way.

>>and b) it doesn't harm any important workload, those are the hard parts
here
Do you have something in mind which needs to be taken care or thought about
before attempting the idea.