Re: psql client binary

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <markMLl(dot)pgsql-general(at)telemetry(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql client binary
Date: 2006-02-26 14:48:26
Lists: pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mark Morgan Lloyd"<markMLl(dot)pgsql-general(at)telemetry(dot)co(dot)uk>
Sent: 26/02/06 14:33:55
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org"<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] psql client binary

> Thanks Bruce. So in general NT4 is out as a > client and I might not even be able
> to install pgAdmin as a binary.

Use the no-installer win32 package (it's just a zip of the core server files), psql should run on any version of windows from 95. You'll need some of the dlls as well - from memory:

Libpq.dll
Libintl.dll
Libiconv.dll
Comerr32.dll
Krb5_32.dll
Libeay32.dll
Ssleay32.dll

And pgAdmin /should/ work as well, but I don't know if anyone has tried it on NT4 in a while.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> > Hopefully not to grievous an FAQ: can anybody point me at a precompiled
> > binary of the psql terminal-based front-end to run on NT hopefully not
> > requiring Cygwin, or has this been effectively replaced by pgAdmin?
>
> pginstaller has such a psql binary that should work on NT, but it will
> not install on NT. See the FAQ:
>
> http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/faq/FAQ_windows.html

Thanks Bruce. So in general NT4 is out as a client and I might not even be able
to install pgAdmin as a binary. Bit of a bother that- I'm hoping to get clients
and users onto Linux RSN but until then being able to e.g. cut-and-paste out of
psql is something I find very useful indeed.

Alternatively is there a binary somewhere of the psql client that uses the
Cygwin DLL?

Apologies for sounding like a total wimp, I'm an embedded-systems guy who also
does Delphi on PCs. I'm up to a bit of C hacking under Linux but have never
dirtied my hands with C or C++ on Win-32.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend