Big table - using wrong index - why?

From: "Chris Ruprecht" <chrup999(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Big table - using wrong index - why?
Date: 2001-07-30 16:20:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

I have a table with about 6 million records in it.
I have 9 different indexes on the table (different people need to access it
differently)
If you look at the details below, you can see that it's selecting an index
which doesn't have the fields I'm searching with - and it takes for ever.
There is an index which does have the right fields but it's not being used.
I have done a re-index but it didn't help. How can I force it to use index
i_pl_pseq instead of i_pl_loadtimestamp?

Here are the details:

Table "phonelog"
Attribute | Type | Modifier
-------------+-----------------------+--------------------------------------
-
cdate | date | not null
ctime | time |
countrycode | integer |
areacodex | integer |
success | boolean |
carrier | integer |
duration | integer |
phonenumber | character varying(20) |
areacode | character varying(30) |
pseq | bigint |
loadno | bigint |
frline | integer |
entity | character varying(3) | not null
loaddate | date |
loadtime | time |
prefix | character varying(3) |
toline | integer |
dur306 | double precision |
dur180180 | double precision |
recno | bigint | default nextval('SEQ_phonelog'::text)

Indices: i_pl_carrier,
i_pl_date_country_carrier,
i_pl_date_line,
i_pl_entity_date,
i_pl_loadtimestamp,
i_pl_phoneno,
i_pl_prefix,
i_pl_pseq,
i_pl_recno

phones=# \d i_pl_pseq
Index "i_pl_pseq"
Attribute | Type
-----------+----------------------
entity | character varying(3)
pseq | bigint
btree

phones=# explain select * from phonelog where entity = '001' and pseq >=
9120 and pseq <= 9123;
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Index Scan using i_pl_loadtimestamp on phonelog (cost=0.00..209247.39
rows=607 width=137)

EXPLAIN

phones=# \d i_pl_loadtimestamp
Index "i_pl_loadtimestamp"