problems with starting postpostmaster

From: "Michael Baker" <mike(at)scmlabs(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: problems with starting postpostmaster
Date: 2001-11-01 19:37:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi.

I currently had a client move from linux 7.1 to 7.2, at this point postgres stopped working. I attempted to install the new rpms, but had many dependency failures. I attempted to start the postmaster via pg_ctl, but am getting the following error:

bash-2.05$ FATAL 2: database was initialized with LC_COLLATE 'en_US',
which is not recognized by setlocale().
looks like you need to initdb.

Does this error reflect that I need to update to rpms that are specific to 7.2 or is there some other problem. If I run an initdb I can then start the postmaster, I can not however point to the data that I really need.

Help!

Thank you very much.

-Mike Baker