Re: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as My

From: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as My
Date: 2000-12-11 18:00:21
Lists: pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert D. Nelson" <RDNELSON(at)co(dot)centre(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Matthew" <matt(at)ctlno(dot)com>; "pgsql-general"
<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 3:23 PM
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as My

> my2post anybody?
>
> Considering all the apps that have mysql code or mysql/php code in them,
> something that would go thru and fix code that wouldn't work, but wouldn't
> optimize either, and alert to code that doesn't have functional
equivalents
> that points to a FAQ they can look at or submit questions to, now that I'd
> love.

What I've done for my last couple of PHP/db projects is hack a little perl
script that generates SQL and PHP code to build data structures. That way
you just tag a field as indexed/unique and type phonenum and let the script
generate for the target db/lang.

At the moment, of course, too much tends to be hardwired :-(

Should be expanded and turned into a proper open-source package really -
there are plenty of people who try to support a lot of databases (twig
springs to mind). Haven't really got the round tuits at present, but if
anyone wants the code they're welcome to it.

- Richard Huxton