Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces

From: Arjen van der Meijden <acm(at)tweakers(dot)net>
To: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces
Date: 2003-05-26 17:43:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

> Tom Lane wrote:

> I tend to agree with the viewpoint that getting anything useful out of
such a merger will be a difficult project.

> Anyone suppose they both felt they had to do this because they were
each losing ground to Postgres?
> If they do make a successful merger of the best parts of each DB,
they'll certainly become a much better combined competitor ...

From what I was able to read from the German article your
slashdot-atitcle links to, there won't be a software-merger. Both
parties have joined forces to develop a new databasesystem for
commercial use (whether it'll cost anything isn't mentioned, as far as I
can tell).
This new project will probably take a few years to finish and untill
then the SAPDB will be renamed to mysql or something like that.

Arjen