Re: IDLE IN TRANSACTION

From: "Rodrigo Sakai" <rodrigo(dot)sakai(at)zanthus(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <andy(dot)shellam(at)mailnetwork(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IDLE IN TRANSACTION
Date: 2006-04-19 18:51:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

>No problem really, all it means is the application has issued a start of transaction command, it just isn't doing anything at the moment.

>Transactions allow any data added during the application's running to be rolled back should, for example, the application crash - it'll prevent half-written data remaining >stale in your database.

>My guess is when you Exit the application correctly, it'll issue a COMMIT statement to store the transactional data to your database.

Ok Andy, but what if I do an UPDATE operation on the database within this transaction, it will acquire exclusivelock on that table and will release only at the commit (or rollback) of this transaction, is that right?? So, if this transaction only finishes with the exit of the application the UPDATE operation will cause a lot of locks and deadlocks, won't they???

Thanks!