Re: OID's....

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OID's....
Date: 2001-05-30 20:46:23
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Also, when the OID's reach the limit of an int4, if I recall
correctly,
> > they simply wrap around, and things keep working unless you depend on
> > unique OID's. Is that correct?
>
> That's correct.
>
> cheers,
> t.
>
> p.s. and rumor has it that the universe will start shrinking as soon as
this happens ;-)

Actually, in our case, it may happen more soon than I had thought. We
were in the tens of millions not long ago, and are now over 100 million.
At the rate we're going, we may very well be doing 5 million OID's per day
in the very near future, which would give us about 6 months to wrap
around.

I'm not terribly worried about the wrap-around, but I would like to be
as informed as possible regarding this situation. And since we do very
few inserts relative to our selects (probably a 1:5,000 ratio), we
probably don't need to be churning through them quite so fast. It appears
to be pre-allocating 30 or 32 OID's per select, which in our case, is far
too many, as it's a very rare case indeed where we insert more than one
record at a time. Is there a way to change that behavior?

steve