Re: Fixed width rows faster?

From: "Eric Jain" <Eric(dot)Jain(at)isb-sib(dot)ch>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixed width rows faster?
Date: 2004-03-08 09:39:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

> This is bogus reasoning. The limit on index entry length will not
> change when you rebuild the index.

What I meant by 'rebuilding' was not issuing a REINDEX command, but
creating a new index after having dropped the index and inserted
whatever records. Building indexes can be slow, and I'd rather not have
the operation fail after several hours because record #98556761 is
deemed to be too long for indexing...

While we are busy complaining, it's a pity Postgres doesn't allow us to
disable and later recreate all indexes on a table using a single command
;-)