Re: [spam] Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources

From: "Al Sutton" <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>
To: "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, "bpalmer" <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [spam] Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date: 2002-11-27 21:48:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hannu,

Using a Win32 platform will allow them to perform relative metrics. I'm not
looking for a statement saying things are x per cent faster than production,
I'm looking for reproducable evidence that an improvement offers y per cent
faster performance than another configuration on the same platform.

The QA environment is designed to do final testing and compiling definitive
metrics against production systems, what I'm looking for is an easy method
of allowing developers to see the relative change on performance for a given
change on the code base.

I'm fully aware that they'll still have to use the config files of
PostgreSQL on a Win32 port, but the ability to edit the config files, modify
sql dumps to load data into new schema, transfer files between themselves,
and perform day to day tasks such as reading Email and MS-Word formatted
documents sent to us using tools that they are currently familiar with is a
big plus for me.

The bottom line is I can spend money training my developers on Linux and
push project deadlines back until they become familiar with it, or I can
obtain a free database on their native platform and reduce the number of
machines needed per developer as well as making the current DB machines
available as the main machine for new staff. The latter makes the most sense
in the profit based business environment which I'm in.

Al.