Database ... has disappeared from pg_database

From: "Jens Hartwig" <jhartwig(at)debis(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Database ... has disappeared from pg_database
Date: 2001-01-29 12:01:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all,

I am running into a strange error when creating a database which is located
in another directory than the default directory of PostgreSQL (7.0.2.):

I created a directory called mybase (as owner postgres). I ran the command
initlocation on this directory, then I declared an environment variable
PGDATA2 and restarted my postmaster.

With the command createdb mydb -D 'PGDATA2' I created a new database. When
trying to connect to this database I get the following error:

psql: FATAL 1: Database 'mydb', OID 10857280, has disappeared from
pg_database

What has happened? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Best regards, Jens Hartwig

Jens Hartwig
debis Systemhaus GEI mbH
10875 Berlin