Re: Table spaces again [was Re: Threaded Sorting]

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table spaces again [was Re: Threaded Sorting]
Date: 2002-10-07 17:12:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in> wrote:
[snip]
> On 7 Oct 2002 at 15:52, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
[snip]
> > With tablespaces you can assign 30mb to use a, 120mb to user b etc. ...
> > Table spaces are a nice abstraction layer to the file system.
>
> Hmm.. And how does that fit in database metaphor? What practical use is
that? I
> can't imagine as I am a developer and not a DBA.

Virtual hosting at ISP's for example.

> I believe giving each database it's own transaction log would be a great
> advantage of this scheme.

Well, if you think of Tom's recent patch (ganged WAL writes), from a
performance point of view, this would only be good if each transaction
log had it's own disk. Otherwise a single transaction log is still better.

I think tablespaces is a good idea. I also prefer associating tablespaces
with directory structures better over the oracle style.

Regards,
Michael Paesold