psql misbehaves because of a simple typo

From: "Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
To: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql misbehaves because of a simple typo
Date: 2001-12-02 06:58:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Is it me (who hasn't read some FAQ or a doc/man page) or
it's a bug in the psql interactive terminal?

A sample session is provided at the bottom. I just typed
a simple CREATE TABLE command and did not put closing
parenthesis (I was typing too fast); I did put a semicolon, however.
psql gave me no error message whatsoever and accepted whatever
input afterwards and ignored it with the exception of \commands.

Was this reported? Do you need some other info?
Logs?

o I have a RHL7.1 and the tarball of 7.2b3 downloaded
from the website.

o # ./configure --enable-nls --enable-multibyte --enable-locale --enable-debug --enable-cassert

Here is the session:

[regress72b3(at)gunn regress72b3]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

test=# create table test2(id serial;
test(# select version();
test(# ?
test(# \?
\a toggle between unaligned and aligned output mode
\c[onnect] [DBNAME|- [USER]]
connect to new database (currently "test")
\C TITLE set table title
\cd [DIRNAME] change the current working directory
\copy ... perform SQL COPY with data stream to the client host
\copyright show PostgreSQL usage and distribution terms
\d TABLE describe table (or view, index, sequence)
\d{t|i|s|v}... list tables/indexes/sequences/views
\d{p|S|l} list access privileges, system tables, or large objects
\da list aggregate functions
\dd NAME show comment for table, type, function, or operator
\df list functions
\do list operators
\dT list data types
\e FILENAME edit the current query buffer or file with external editor
\echo TEXT write text to standard output
\encoding ENCODING set client encoding
\f STRING set field separator
\g FILENAME send SQL command to server (and write results to file or |pipe)
\h NAME help on syntax of SQL commands, * for all commands
\H toggle HTML output mode (currently off)
\i FILENAME execute commands from file
\l list all databases
\lo_export, \lo_import, \lo_list, \lo_unlink
large object operations
\o FILENAME send all query results to file or |pipe
\p show the content of the current query buffer
\pset VAR set table output option (VAR := {format|border|expanded|
fieldsep|null|recordsep|tuples_only|title|tableattr|pager})
\q quit psql
\qecho TEXT write text to query output stream (see \o)
\r reset (clear) the query buffer
\s FILENAME print history or save it to file
\set NAME VALUE set internal variable
\t show only rows (currently off)
\T TEXT set HTML table tag attributes
\unset NAME unset (delete) internal variable
\w FILENAME write current query buffer to file
\x toggle expanded output (currently off)
\z list table access privileges
\! [COMMAND] execute command in shell or start interactive shell
test-# select version();
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near ";"
test=# select version();
version
PostgreSQL 7.2b3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
(1 row)

test=#

--
Serguei A. Mokhov