Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?
Date: 2001-09-10 21:24:26
Lists: pgsql-general

> I'd probably go for a 3ware RAID instead... IDE disks are so much
> cheaper nowadays than SCSI, and the premium isn't really justifiable
> anymore.

Having used IDE and SCSI disks, when I'm serious about performance, IDE
doesn't even enter my mind. Also, over on the XFS list, there are a few
people that have been using 3ware cards, and it sounds like there are
still some serious caveats/bugs to them. Myself, I much prefer a good
SCSI RAID card that's going to work, and going to work well.

(As an aside, one person was in a heated argument about how much cheaper
IDE was than SCSI. I got on pricewatch, found some prices, and would have
been able to put together a very fast SCSI system for the same price as
his IDE array.)

steve