Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

From: "Sander Steffann" <sander(at)steffann(dot)nl>
To: <chris(at)ruprecht(dot)org>, "Nikolaus Dilger" <nikolaus(at)dilger(dot)cc>
Cc: <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs
Date: 2002-11-25 10:43:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

> In a production environment I would always favor some
> kind of error protection. Either RAID 5 or RAID 1
> (mirroring). A hardware RAID controller is faster than
> software RAID.

Considering the speed of CPU's and busses these days, software RAID can be a
lot faster than hardware RAID in many cases. I prefer hardware RAID myself
because of the simplicity (the OS doesn't need to know about the RAID
configuration), but I hear good results from people running on software
RAID.

Hope this helps you.
Sander.