Re: sql select challenge

From: <davidb(at)vectormath(dot)com>
To: "Travis Bauer" <trbauer(at)indiana(dot)edu>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sql select challenge
Date: 2000-06-12 15:31:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Travis,

I know this is not what you're asking for, and I
imagine you have already thought of this, but just
in case . . .

You could add an extra column to each of your
tables. These columns would be populated by a
procedure that runs through the existing recordset
and assigns sequential numbers to them. You would
flush these columns and repopulate them each time
you run your query. Your query would have an
outer join on these two columns. (by the way, I
think that you will not be able to get away from
using programming to solve your problem)

David Boerwinkle