make rows unique across db's without UUIP on windows?

From: "Kimball Johnson" <kimballjohnson(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: make rows unique across db's without UUIP on windows?
Date: 2008-06-03 02:41:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Considering the discussions on the pgsql-bugs user list regarding ossp-uuip:
Re: BUG #4167: When generating UUID using UUID-OSSP module, UUIDs are not
unique on Windows,

What is the normal solution in pgsql-land for making a serious number of
rows unique across multiple databases?

I mean particularly databases of different types (every type) used at
various places (everywhere) on all platforms (even MS[TM])? You know. a
UNIVERSAL id?

I gotta have it! I'm doing distributed list management.

Anyone got a real good, dependable, easy, and universally manageable
solution?

Thanks,

Kimball Johnson