OID's....

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: OID's....
Date: 2001-05-30 18:18:12
Lists: pgsql-general

I know that this topic comes up fairly often, so I tried to search the
archives, but the search engine doesn't appear to have info on messages
after 1999, so forgive me for repeating this topic.

Recently, our OID usage has started to jump dramatically - today, we're
using ten thousand or more in a few minutes. We're trying to figure out
just what is using so many, without any luck. Aside from doing a lot of
inserts (which we don't do many of), what would cause this? Are they
pre-allocated for transactions and not freed?

Also, when the OID's reach the limit of an int4, if I recall correctly,
they simply wrap around, and things keep working unless you depend on
unique OID's. Is that correct?

steve