Re: [mail] Re: 7.4 Wishlist

From: "Al Sutton" <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>
To: "Greg Copeland" <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>, "Stephen L(dot)" <jleelim(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: 7.4 Wishlist
Date: 2002-12-10 17:25:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Would it be possible to make compression an optional thing, with the default
being off?

I'm in a position that many others may be in where the link between my app
server and my database server isn't the bottleneck, and thus any time spent
by the CPU performing compression and decompression tasks is CPU time that
is in effect wasted.

If a database is handling numerous small queries/updates and the
request/response packets are compressed individually, then the overhead of
compression and decompression may result in slower performance compared to
leaving the request/response packets uncompressed.

Al.