Idle postmasters....

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Idle postmasters....
Date: 2001-07-11 17:36:32
Lists: pgsql-general

At any given time, I'm fairly likely to see one or more postmasters
which are sitting around, doing absolutely nothing. They're not taking
any CPU time, nor *have* they taken even a second of the CPU. They just
sit there, idle. There may be up to six or seven of them.

The machine is a quad Xeon, and the CPU usage rarely exceeds 30%. It
hasn't touched swap in months, and has more than enough RAM, so they
processes don't seem to be waiting for CPU or I/O. The PG version is
7.0.2.

Any ideas what's going on?

steve