why pg_dump eats so much memory?

From: Cristóvão Dalla Costa <cdallacosta(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: why pg_dump eats so much memory?
Date: 2000-09-23 01:05:04
Lists: pgsql-general

I just noticed that when I run pg_dump to backup my databases it will use
enormous amounts of memory, eating over 70 MB and causing the system to
trash. Then after a while it'll shrink to about 30MB, then grow again, and
repeat the cycle a couple times. The database has 3 tables with araound
350,000 rows, and one table with 1,300,000 rows.

I would like to know the causes of that behaviour, and, hopefully, how I can
fix it. I'm running 7.0.2 on freebsd 4.1.

Thanks!