Re: [INTERFACES] why there's only char type?

From: "Daniel" <daniel(at)ids(dot)org(dot)my>
To: "Byron Nikolaidis" <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] why there's only char type?
Date: 1999-03-25 00:03:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

After many times of reconfiguring the ODBC connection profile, recreating
the database, and even re-installing the postODBC, I think the problem lies
on the fact that Powerbuilder needs a set of its own system (or 'catalog')
tables in order to work properly in the *visual* mode. Because right now
Powerbuilder reports an error ("Catalog table could not be created and are
not available for use") everytime I start a connection to the database.
Interestingly, I could create a table with INT4 and CHAR fields from
Powerbuilder's text mode and it worked, but in visual mode, it could only
see the 1st field and ignored the 2nd.

Anyway, thanks for suggesting looking into the odbc trace log. The log files
attached with this mail created right after the following process:
1) Re-create the database test.
2) In Powerbuilder, delete & then re-configure the ODBC connection profile,
uncheck 'ReadOnly'.
3) Start the trace log (from ODBC Data Source Admin).
4) Connect to the database, and got the error msg "Catalog...." as mentioned
above.
5) Still can connect to the database. At this point if I am to create a new
table, Powerbuilder will show me only the 'char' type. But as far as the log
files are conecerned, I didnt do anything.
6) Disconnect from the database (by connecting to another db, i.e. Sybase).

If you examine the Sql.log, it did call SQLGetTypeInfo(). But the error
occured when exiting SQLSetStmtOption. Could that be the whole problem? Is
that a problem of PostODBC or Powerbuilder? Thanks for any help.

Daniel