Re: numeric type

From: "Peter" <peter(at)greatnowhere(dot)com>
To: "'Daniel Migowski'" <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: numeric type
Date: 2008-07-30 08:34:28
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

From: Daniel Migowski [mailto:dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:25 AM
To: Peter Zeltins
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] numeric type

I would assume this is not a major issue for most. Personally I ran into
this problem when writing automated PG->MS Access converter (Jackcess is
the only lib capable of creating MDB files on Linux/BSD) and it bailed
on numeric fields.

Great gods, why would anyone do this in the first place? :) I once wrote one
for the opposite direction, but please tell us, which requirements needs you
to convert a postgres database to MS Access?

Long story. We're migrating old Access app to Postgres but still need to be
able to exchange datasets with the old app users (app supports it's own
import/export in MDB format). Since migration is expected to last several
years we need some sort of automated PG->MDB thing.

Peter