Re: one more word about rules

From: "Abe Asghar" <abe(at)fish(dot)tm>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: one more word about rules
Date: 2000-09-22 14:33:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I have built a database that uses int4 as the unique identifier for a news
database.

Therefore an article has a identifier 1, the next one has 2 etc.

Then I order them when they are displayed on the web reversely so that the
last article added is at the top of the list.

I now face a major problem. If we need to back dackdate an article - I
can't. This is because the all the indexes are taken up ie 1, 2, 3......75
odd records. If I want to add one between 50 and 51 ie 50.5, I cannot
because the field is an int4.

One idea I had to get around this was to create a new table with this column
as a float and read and write all therecords in with a PHP script.

Is there an easier way such as converting the column data type from a int4
to a float.

Thanks in advance.
Abe.