Indices

From: "Nikolaj Lundsgaard" <Nikolaj(at)kampsax(dot)dtu(dot)dk>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Indices
Date: 2001-01-19 10:55:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

Maybe a wrong mailinglist to ask this, but...

Are there any plans on writing a chapter in the documentation about the implementation of indices. I know from M$ SQL Server that it is no picnic determining which indices are useful, and thick books can be written on how to make the right indices for the right query.

I have no idea if postgres has similar strange ways of using indices, but even so, that should be written in the documentation. However I find it highly probable that I am not the only one having trouble designing indices. Often I see questions on this mailinglist sounding like: "Why is my query not using the index". These would perhaps be less frequent in the future if such a chapter was written.

Have a nice week-end

Regards, Nikolaj