Re: command

From: "joek hondius" <jhondius(at)rem(dot)nl>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: command
Date: 2002-11-06 10:27:01
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi!

There is no BDE driver to my knowledge,
but there are DBX (DBExpress) drivers for Borland Delphi/Kylix and cbuilder.
Also there is a postgresql driver for availiable from Vita Voom Software
www.vitavoom.com
On PostgreSQL < 7.2.1 teh GPL www.ZeosLib.org works,
later versions work with either a custom .BKI script or patched Zeos driver.

Be warned:
We tested performance of the respective drivers,
and ODBC is VERY VERY VERY bandwidth comsuming.
In our C/S app ODBC is impossible to use on a 10 mbps ethernet.
Furthermore you need to install the ODBC driver on each client,
whereas DBX is kinda build-in the executable.

An impression of network traffic in our app per session:
ODBC: aprox 3 MB
Oracle8 /w OCI/ADO: 620 kB
ms SQL server7: 450 kB
DBX 400 kB
Zeos 380 kB

Note that ODBC also needs a really significant amount of
CPU-time after the data have (finally) arrived.
In our app some 2,5 seconds extra on pIII 600,
on top of 3,5 secs for data.

My guess is that PostgreSQL or its ODBC driver is not to blame for this,
but Micro$oft's specs...

Greetings, JH