Re: WITHOUT OIDS

From: "Andrew Bartley" <abartley(at)evolvosystems(dot)com>
To: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WITHOUT OIDS
Date: 2003-02-26 21:51:04
Lists: pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Bartley" <abartley(at)evolvosystems(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] WITHOUT OIDS

> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 19:59, Andrew Bartley wrote:
> > The Function slows down during the day considerably. I suspect it is
due
> > the constant creation and dropping of temp tables. If I vacuum full
> > pg_attribute and pg_class it fixes the problem.
>
> Does a regular VACUUM accomplish the same result?

No, a regular vacuum does not seem to make the same difference.

> > But unfortunately vacuuming these table every run is not practical as
> > it takes so much time.
>
> Can you elaborate? VACUUMing *just* the pg_attribute and pg_class tables
> takes an excessive amount of time? (You're aware you can VACUUM specific
> tables, as well as entire databases, right?)

I am aware of this. Time spent vacuuming and performance of these tables is
critical.

We process around 30,000,000 transnactions a day. We use a batch oriented
process that takes these transactions and explodes them into hundreds of
normalised tables. This process runs every five minutes. This database also
supports a front end reporting system that handles dynamic reporting
requests.

> > If I were to create the temp tables without oids, does this mean both
> > pg_attribute and pg_class will not be as affected.
>
> AFAIK, it wouldn't affect either significantly.

But it would make a difference.. Right?

Thanks for you time

Andrew