Changes to pg_hba.conf not effective until after restart

From: "Robert Fitzpatrick" <robert(at)webtent(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Changes to pg_hba.conf not effective until after restart
Date: 2002-12-23 14:28:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Can anyone tell me why on one of our PostgreSQL servers, anytime a
change is made to the pg_hba.conf file, the PostgreSQL must be restarted
before the changes take affect? We have other older versions of
PostgreSQL that changes are effective immediately without restart. Is
there some setting for this?

--
Robert