Re: Why vacuum?

From: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: bpalmer <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why vacuum?
Date: 2000-12-13 23:08:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

El Mié 13 Dic 2000 16:41, bpalmer escribió:
> I noticed the other day that one of my pg databases was slow, so I ran
> vacuum on it, which brought a question to mind: why the need? I looked
> at my oracle server and we aren't doing anything of the sort (that I can
> find), so why does pg need it? Any info?

I know nothing about Oracle, but I can tell you that Informix has an update
statistics, which I don't know if it's similar to vacuum, but....
What vacuum does is clean the database from rows that were left during
updates and deletes, non the less, the tables get shrincked, so searches get
faster.

Saludos... :-)

--
System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.