RE: OK, OK, Hiroshi's right: use a seperately-generatedfilename

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: RE: OK, OK, Hiroshi's right: use a seperately-generatedfilename
Date: 2000-06-19 04:52:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It seems to me that the following 1)2) has always been mixed up.
IMHO,they should be distinguished clearly.

1) Where the table is stored
Currently PostgreSQL relies on relname -> filename mapping
rule to access *existent* relations and doesn't have this
information in its database. Our(Tom,Ross,me) proposal is to
keep the information(token) in pg_class and provide a standard
transactional control mechanism for the change of table file
allocation. By doing it we would be able to be free from table
allocation(naming) rule.
Isn't it a kind of thing why we haven't had it from the first ?

2) Where to store the table
Yes,TABLE(DATA)SPACE should encapsulate this concept.

I want the decision about 1) first. Ross has already tried it without
2).

Comments ?

As for 2) every one seems to have each opinion and the discussion
has always been divergent. Please don't discard 1) together.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp