Re: backup and restore

From: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: backup and restore
Date: 2000-10-03 13:26:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 02 Oct 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> "Martin A. Marques" wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to know if postgres comes with some kind of backup
> > application? I mean something that would do database backup and restore,
> > something like informix's ontape and logical logs.
>>
> Take a look at pg_dump and pg_dumpall

Well, that would only be part og what I'm looking for. The thing I like about
informix is that I can make a Level 0 backup of all the data (equal to the
pg_dumpall), and then leave the logical logs downloading continuosly, so that
if in one moment the system breaks, I restore the Level 0 backup and then
apply the logical logs, which are the small changes that have been done to
the database in each transaction, administration, etc.

Could this be added? I am willing to help with the coding.

Saludos... :-)

--
"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martn Marqus email: martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar