Re: database corruption

From: "A Palmblad" <adampalmblad(at)yahoo(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: database corruption
Date: 2004-06-24 20:10:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Guerin" <guerin(at)rentec(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] database corruption

> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 14:16, Michael Guerin wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >> We recently switch over from Solaris to Linux and we've been
> >>experiencing a couple database corruptions problems. We're using the
> >>2.6 kernel and a XFS file system, in case there are any known problems
> >>with this setup.
> >>
> >>It's my understanding that these errors are typically b/c of hardware
> >>problems, so we're in the process of checking the disk. However, are
> >>there other things that I should look to find out what's going on? The
> >>table that was corrupted earlier this week was dropped and recreated,
> >>but it was corrupted again sometime last night. The table is pretty
> >>active, about 10GB are inserted and deleted every day.
> >>

> >Be sure and test your memory too. And if you have a hardware RAID
> >controller, sometimes they can be slightly broken and cause random
> >corruption.
> >

> Switching from XFS to Reiserfs seems to have resolved our problems.

That sounds like a problem we had - we were running off an XFS partition,
had table corruption trouble (invalid page headers) on a large table. We
were running kernel 2.6, AMD64 architecture. After the problem occurred a
couple times we upgraded our raid controller firmware and driver, checked
our RAM, and switched over to the JFS file system. Haven't had trouble
since. We tried a couple things when fixing our problem; but I'm wondering
if anyone else is having trouble with XFS, and that that might be the root
cause of the trouble.

-Adam