RE: [HACKERS] Caution: tonight's commits force initdb

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5" <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Caution: tonight's commits force initdb
Date: 1999-08-24 10:39:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Without taking SORT into account

[From my example]

cost of sequential scan = 1716.32 and
cost of index scan = 2284.55

cost of sequential scan > cost of index scan * 0.7

It's unbelievable for me.

> e.g. 8 GB sort space. It also depends on whether the application is
> interested in
> first row (interactive), or all row performance (batch). Other DB's can
> switch modes
> to decide on the wanted behavior. So I think there is no yes/no
> decision on
> this.

We could use LIMIT clause to get first rows now and optimizer
should take LIMIT/OFFSET into account(TODO item).

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp