Suffering

From: "Rob Stoddard" <rstodd(at)cts(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Suffering
Date: 2000-08-16 07:10:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Got this problem:

[rob(at)bloodyaxes bin]# su postgres -c "initdb --pgdata=/var/db --pglib=/usr/local/pgsql/lib"

We are initializing the database system with username postgres (uid=100).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

Creating template database in /var/db/base/template1
ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.

ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.

initdb: could not create template database
initdb: cleaning up by wiping out /var/db/base/template1
[rob(at)bloodyaxes bin]#

all of my permissions are correct, this is a totally clean, fresh source install of 7.0.2. I am wondering if this problem persists on anybody else's machine, because mine is all about missing oidvectors, no matter how I compile this thing. I dug thru the source code, and it is defined in there. Anybody know what also reads the include files (other than the compiler)? It is giving the oidvector declaration a complete miss if I know anything at all about this problem...

I tried some time ago to fix this, and couldn't get any help until I erroneously posted the reports from when I tried to configure a directory which I hadn't set permissions for. I got tons of support for that one (thanks!) but none of it did me any good because I realized my error immediately after doing it, and proceeded to make myself a fool by posting those results, rather than the ones from the attempt immediately afterwards.

Thank you for your support!

Rob