Re: select question

From: "Robert B(dot) Easter" <reaster(at)comptechnews(dot)com>
To: <database(at)gurubase(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: select question
Date: 2000-07-29 20:34:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, database(at)gurubase(dot)com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Is there a way I can select the top 50 rows from table, 51 - 100 rows from
> table etc.... (with order clause)? It is because I am writing a message board
> and I would like to create the prev/next button on different page.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Boris

A cursor might also work for you.

Example:

$offset = $pageno * $rowsperpage;

BEGIN;
DECLARE mycur CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE age > 20 ORDER BY name;
FETCH FORWARD $offset FROM mycur;
CLOSE mycur;
END;

I forget what the advantages/disadvantages are between CURSOR and LIMIT. I've
used a CURSOR and it works fine for doing paging. One thing I'd still like to
know, is what are the most efficient ways to get the count of rows in cursor? I
guess a SELECT count(*) is the only way but seems that would be slow on large
tables. Hmm, maybe SELECT INTO TEMPORARY TABLE with LIMIT is a good way,
then you can do a SELECT count(*) on the temp table without scanning the whole
larger table again. Anyone reading this having any comments on this?

--
- Robert