Simulating CURSORS??

From: p(dot)lam(at)altavista(dot)net
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Simulating CURSORS??
Date: 2000-06-01 23:59:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

I read from messages like http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-sql/1999-11/msg00076.html that CURSORS could not be used with pg/plsql, and indeed attempting to do so result in the same kind of error highlighted in that message.
Are there any other ways I could with pgplsql simuate the use of Cursors and write functions that could fetch and process records row by row retrieved from a SELECT statement (and then put the processed data back to another table)?