Re: Installation of postgre DBD is easy without RMP

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Hans Poo <hans(at)namb(dot)cl>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation of postgre DBD is easy without RMP
Date: 2000-05-25 02:57:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Hans Poo wrote:
> Just a little complaint... Why not to include the full perl portable (i
> mean DBI) development kit in Postgres? ... sorry about this, i know it's
> free but...

DBD::Pg is under either the GNU GPL or the Artistic License -- GPL is not
compatible with the BSD-licensed main PostgreSQL distribution, but I don't know
about the Artistic License.

If you are running RedHat Linux, you can get DBI and DBD::Pg RPMs that simply
plug in to the existing installation and just _run_.

My personal preference would be to simply drop the perl Pg interface
altogether, and point those interested in perl interfacing to DBI and DBD::Pg,
but I am resigned to the likely fact that the Pg interface is likely to be
around for a very long time.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio