Re: [GENERAL] Foreign Keys Help Delete!

From: Timothy Covell <dirac(at)applink(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Foreign Keys Help Delete!
Date: 2000-09-21 02:30:34
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

>Timothy, Tom:
>
>> >1. a. Create new record with new key value in hosts table with the
>> >desired value
>> > b. Update the routes record to reference the new value
>> > c. Delete the old record in the hosts table
>> >

>> Yes, that's what I tried.
>>
>> 1. foo.old.com exists in "hosts" table and "routes" table
>> 2. create foo.new.com in "hosts" table
>> 3. delete foo.old.com in "routes" table
>> 4. add foo.new.com into "routes" table
>> 5. try to delete foo.old.com and it complains!
>
>Tom - not to interrupt your coding :-) this sounds like a bug. Any
>thoughts?

No, Tom's not needed. I double checked things again today, and
was able to delete the problem records today.... I'll blame it on
gremlins. ;-) I suppose that I got lost in the data and the
gremlins must have cleaned it up while I slept last night....;-)

Sorry to get any feathers ruffled....

Still, I would like an easy way to drop and recreate foreign
keys and from what I see, it will appear that there is not a
"safe" way to do this yet.

>> >2. a. Drop the Foriegn Key constraint
>> > b. Update both the routes and hosts tables
>> > c. Re-establish the foriegn key constraint
>>
>> This is the part that I'm fuzzy on. I've tried this before
>> with complete DB corruption resulting. I had to dump each table
>> one by one, edit my schema with vi, create new DB, import tables
>> one by one....very painful!
>
>This also sounds like a problem. One should be able to drop a
>constraint, the re-create the restraint and check existing records
>against it. You can do this in MSSQL and Oracle.
>
>> PPS. As I replied to Stephan, I'm contracting at a company and I
>> don't have access to e-mail. Taking a schema home is NOT OK.
>> I already asked the manager if I could GPL my DNS-DB implementation.
>> As you might expect, the non-technical manager, didn't know what
>> GPL was, and he was NOT going to allow my work to be released to
>> public.... And of course, higher ups in company may decide that
>> my solution breaks the "don't build if you can buy" policy, in which
>> case all of my work is for naught! ARGH!!!!!!
>
>Well, if they don't use it, you can easily re-create your work at home
>and GPL it. It also depends on the contract you signed ...

Yes, well, gremlin infested work is not good to distribute onto the
net...;-) Time will tell....