Re: PG sql string -> time_t

From: "Andrew Snow" <andrew(at)modulus(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG sql string -> time_t
Date: 2001-12-18 14:48:41
Lists: pgsql-general

OK, I understand now. But I say that most people don't (or shouldn't)
want to actually use the time in epoch format. Since I started using
PostgreSQL the I've rarely needed to use EXTRACT(epoch ..) if at all,
because:

For formatting dates for user display, its best to let PostgreSQL do all
that, and the C programmer will simply format it how he needs it when he
writes his SQL queries, using to_char(). Each application you write
will usually require date/time display in a different format each time.

PostgreSQL handles dates, times, timezones, adding and subtracting times
in a much easier way than you programming it yourself, and in the rarer
case the programmer really needs it in epoch format he can just use
EXTRACT(epoch ..) in a query.

If you still want to do, I think the easiest way would be to parse the
string you get from PostgreSQL and use the C library's mktime().

- Andrew