Live Link to Oracle?

From: "Ted Taylor" <tedtaylor(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Live Link to Oracle?
Date: 2003-04-08 12:37:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Sorry if I've hit the wrong group, or if this question has been asked &
answered. I couldn't find it in the archives.

My company has a substantial investment in Oracle (one that I'd like to
reduce). Mostly Oracle 8.1.7 and lower. There are literally dozens of
applications accessing the databases, so porting a complete Oracle
databse to PostgreSQL is not in the cards.

I'd like to set up a pgsql database that has server-based links back to
an Oracle db. Not replication, but a live link (the data I'm looking
for can change rapidly). The pgsql client would see it as a native
pgsql table, but the pgsql server would submit the query to Oracle in
real-time. Basically, a view of the Oracle data.

At this point, we're not looking to insert/update/delete any Oracle
data, nor run stored procs/functions. Just a dang SELECT.

Any ideas?

tia,
Ted.