RE: Big 7.1 open items

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Jan Wieck" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, "Thomas Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Subject: RE: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-21 23:37:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I strongly object to keep tablespace OID for smgr file reference token
though we have to keep it for another purpose of cource. I've mentioned
many times tablespace(where to store) info should be distinguished from
*where it is stored* info. Generally tablespace isn't sufficiently
restrictive
for this purpose. e.g. there was an idea about round-robin. e.g. Oracle's
tablespace could have pluaral files... etc.
IMHO,it is misleading to use tablespace OID as (a part of) reference token.

> relation OID
> relation version number
> (this set of 4 values would also be an smgr file reference token).
> 16 bytes/log entry looks much better than 64.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp