Querying the system catalog

From: "Marcel Wolf" <mwolfs(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Querying the system catalog
Date: 2004-01-27 22:07:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello group
I am trying to follow through on advice I received from you earlier. I
would like to check for my database when I logon and if it is not there
create it( I am using php to write web apps). I am able to connect to
the template1 and query for pg_database. But I am getting a parse error
on the following (XXX).

Error message:
"Expected T_STRING or T_VARIABLE"

Code :
$link=pg_connect('user=marcel dbname=template1') or die ("Couldn't
connect to template1 try again.<br>");

$query = "SELECT * FROM pg_database";

$result = pg_query ($query) or die ("Couldn't get the
database names".pg_last_error());

// If it worked get the database names.

$database= pg_fetch_array ($result) or print ("Can't get the
array of databases<br>");

XXX print (" the 1st database is $database['datname'].<br>");

die ("Finshed my test.<br>");

Is this the correct way to query the system catalog for the existing
databases? Is this questions addressed to the wrong group and maybe
should be addressed to the php_pgsql group?
Again thanks for the help
Marcel Wolf