Re: merhabalar -> tesekkurler

From: Ahmet ÜK <ahmet(at)izbul(dot)net>
To: "'PostgreSQL Turkiye'" <pgsql-tr-genel(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: merhabalar -> tesekkurler
Date: 2003-07-28 13:17:36
Lists: pgsql-tr-genel

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-tr-genel-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-tr-genel-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Devrim GUNDUZ
Sent: 28 Temmuz 2003 Pazartesi 14:17
To: PostgreSQL Turkiye
Subject: Re: [pgsql-tr-genel] merhabalar

Merhaba,

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, [windows-1254] Ahmet ÜK wrote:

> php.net te açıklandiği üzere php5 ile mysql e artık destek
> verilmiyor.... ( yazıyı aradım ama linkini bulamadım :( )

Tam olarak oyle degil. Lisans sorunlari nedeniyle, MySQL'i on tanimli
olarak sunmayacaklar sanirim.

Rasmus Lerdorf'um mesaji:
What's the confusion here? Most non-GPL licenses are not compatible
with the GPL when it comes to combining a GPL'ed and the non-GPL'ed
component in the same package. This has nothing speficially to do with
PHP. You also cannot link a GPL'ed libmysqlclient library into Apache
in any way and redistribute that. So, something like mod_auth_mysql has
that problem.

This presents less of a problem to the end users. If you are not
planning on redistribution you can pretty much do whatever you want. As
software providers we are more inconvenienced by this. We cannot, for
example, distribute code whose only purpose is to link against a GPL'ed
library. I personally think potential linking restriction is beyond what
the GPL can cover since we aren't including any GPL'ed code, but RMS
disagrees and loves to beat on us for it. RMS's view is that if we
distribute software which is only useful if it is linked against a
GPL'ed library then we are indirectly violating the GPL by encouraging
people to violate the license. Our ext/readline extension was a sore
point for a while until we made it clear that the extension was aimed at
the BSD-licensed libedit library which happens to share the same API as
the GPL'ed libreadline.

In the MySQL case we need to make sure that our MySQL extension can be
linked against a non-GPL'ed library so as to not encourage people to
violate the GPL. And MySQL AB will have some specific terms for
open-source projects like PHP that will make this easier for us.

You really shouldn't worry very much about this. Neither the PHP
developers nor the MySQL developers want to make life difficult on
PHP-MySQL users. We may not bundle libmysqlclient anymore, but that
doesn't mean that we will drop MySQL support. The bundled library did
cause some problems over the years with mismatched libraries and in the
end you are better off having a single libmysqlclient library on your
system that you link everything against instead of having some stuff
linked against one version of the library and other stuff linked against

Benzer sekilde, Red Hat yeni surumunde MySQL 4 degil de 3.23 serisini
koyacak.

Saygilar.
--
Devrim GUNDUZ